AI-based solutions can transform adult learning provision by leading to improved skills assessment and tailor-made learning opportunities. Although the potential of AI for the Adult Learning and Education (ALE) sector is undeniable, it remains largely untapped. At the same time, most adult educators express their mistrust towards AI. The adult educators need to be equipped with new skills to be able to apply AI in ALE.
The AI4AL project aims to facilitate the mindful adoption of AI technologies in the Adult Learning and Education (ALE) sector. AI4AL will develop a methodology and a tool for direct involvement of adult educators in the process of adopting AI-based technologies. The project will also offer training to adult educators on the use of the AI4AL tool and the application of AI technologies in ALE.
AI-based solutions offer several benefits for the ALE sector:
- AI puts the educators and learners in the centre of the adult learning and education process by offering better assessment of skills and making it possible to provide resources tailored to their needs.
- AI can help adult educators save time by automation of repetitive work and standardisation of results
- Educators can keep their teaching skills up to date hanks to new resources and training opportunities offered by AI
Furthermore, involvement of educators in the development and use of AI-based solutions for adult learning is key for the wide and effective use of AI in adult education.
The project is based on three specific objectives:
- To develop an Engagement Kit for the direct involvement of educators in the process of adopting AI-based technologies in the ALE sector, both formal and non-formal. The kit contains a Methodological Guide and an Online Scenarios Repository.
- To develop “AI4AL”, a matching tool that uses AI technologies to link the assessment of the need for basic digital skills to the offer of micro-credentials to facilitate the construction of highly personalised training offers by adult educators.
- To train educators on the use of AI4AL and the application of AI technologies in the ALE sector through a self-paced learning path.
The project will highlight the key role of teachers and educators in the development and use of assistive technology, demystifying the supposed threat posed by AI. And finally, the project will also contribute to the digital transformation by testing and upscaling the use of AI in skills assessment.